Your home’s roof has one of the most important jobs of any system or component on your property: keeping your family safe and dry. Replacing an old, damaged roof goes a long way towards making sure your roof does this job well. But did you know in addition to keeping you dry, replacing your roof can boost the value of your home?
According to the National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI), a roof replacement will provide a 109% return on investment. As an example: if your existing home is worth $400,000 and you invest $20,000 on a new roof, your upgraded home’s value will be $421,900. In this example, your new roof more than pays for itself!
Another report from Remodeling magazine found an average roof replacement ROI of 68%. Even in this lower estimate, most of the cost incurred for the roof upgrade is recovered if your home is sold.
Of course the financial benefits are a great reason to invest in a Denver roof replacement. But keep in mind there are other benefits as well. According to Zillow, on average, you can expect your home with a new roof to have
- More offers
- Shorter sale process
- Increased offer price
The reasons are understandable. For home buyers considering two similar homes for sale, one having a brand new roof and the other with an old roof, the clear choice would be making an offer on the home with the new roof. The condition of a home’s roof is always a question for homebuyers, especially in Denver where we receive significant hail and wind storm activity. The ability to offer your home for sale with a new roof completely removes the concern about the roof’s condition, making your home more attractive to potential buyers.
How to tell if your roof needs repair or replacement
If your roof has any of these issues, the buyer’s home inspector is likely to notice and raise a concern in their inspection report:
- Significant granule loss
- Buckling or curling shingles
- Cracked or wind-torn shingles
- Hail bruises on shingles
- Ice dams
- Uneven roof surface (indicating potential wood rot under the shingles)
- Rusted metal flashing
- Worn rubber boots on pipe flashings
- Exposed nails
Due to these concerns, it’s advisable to have your roof inspected before listing your home for sale. Most of the top roofer in Denver will do this for free, even if you don’t think you have roof issues or damage.
What material should I use to replace my roof?
There are many great roofing options available. Here are some of your choices:
- Asphalt shingles – found on 75% of homes in Denver. One of the budget-friendliest options. Shingle technology has increased in recent years, especially in impact-resistant shingle products.
- Synthetic shingles or tile – usually designed to appear like wood or slate roofs, but created from composite materials that will last decades.
- Metal roofing – metal roofs can take many forms, including stone-coated steel or metal panels. They are some of the most durable and longest lasting roofs available.
- Tile roofing – can be made from either concrete or clay, although concrete is more common nowadays. Tile roofs are very sturdy, but also heavy, and require reinforcing your roof structure.
When you’re ready to have your Denver roof replacement quote prepared by a professional roofing team, contact the experts at Sol Vista Roofing!